참조문서번호 생성일 비밀등급 출처 태그
08SEOUL2154 2008-11-04 06:38 기밀(3급) 주한 미국 대사관

제 목: 제19차 안보정책구상 전체회의

기 밀 SEOUL 002154 국방부망 배포1) 행정명령 12958: 비밀해제: 11/03/2018 태그: PREL2), PINS3), MARR4), KS5), KN6) 제 목: 제19차 안보정책구상 전체회의 분류자: 윌리엄 스탠튼 공관차석7) 근거 1.4 (b/d) 번역자: PoirotKr (트위터 사용자명) — Micheal H. Rhee 2012/08/25 20:45

1. (기밀) 2008년 9월 10일 제19차 한미 안보정책구상회의가 서울에서 개최되었다. 미국 대표단은 데이비드 세드니 국방부 동아시아 차관보가 수석대표로 나섰다. 한국은 국방정책실장 전제국이 수석대표를 맡았다. 다음이 합의한 주요 요지이다.

  • 미국과 한국 대표단은 아프간 원조 증대가 중요하다는 견해를 같이하고, 합의대로 실천을 약속하였다.
  • 쌍방은 전시 작전통제권 이양과 관련 꾸준한 발전과 ‘08 을지프리덤가디언 군사 연습의 성공에 대해 만족을 표했다.
  • 올해 말까지 9개 주한미군 시설물 반환을 완성하기 위해서 5단계의 과정을 활용할 것임을 재확인하였다.
  • 양국 대표단은 미사일 방어 계획 분석팀을 수립하기로 합의하였다.
  • 전쟁예비물자―케이 양해각서는 하나의 성공 사례로 주목받았으며, 10월 17일 제40차 워싱턴 안보협의회의에서 서명식이 계획되어 있다.

2. (기밀) 양국 동맹 문제를 다룬 동 회의 전체회의에서 전반적으로 긍정적인 목소리와 양호한 진전이 보고되었지만, 미국의 몇몇 국제안보협력 증대 요청을 전 실장은 무마시켰다.

  • 그는 한·미·일 삼자 회담 참여를 다짐하지 않았다.(그러나 그는 나중에 참여에 수긍하였다.)
  • 한국 측은 아프간 국군에 대한 직접적인 군사 원조 제공도 거절하였다.
  • 전 실장은 국회의 동의 없이 아프리카 동부 연안 해적소탕 작전을 위해 해군 선박을 제공할 수 없을 거라고 했다.

3. (민감하지만 미분류) 제20차 한미 안보정책구상회의는 9월 11~12일 워싱턴 디시에서 열기로 잠정 제안하였다. 요약 끝.

4. (미분류) 제19차 한미 안보정책구상회의 한미동맹회담은 2008년 9월 10일에 서울에서 열렸다. 미국 대표단은 데이비드 세드니 국방부 부차관보가 수석대표를 맡았다. 한국 대표단은 전제국 국방정책실장이 수석대표를 맡았다.

5. (기밀) 이라크: 이 문제는 비공개회의에서 논의되었지만, 세드니 국방부 부차관보와 국무부 한국과 커트 통 일동은 미국은 이라크라는 대의명분을 위해 한국과 함께 봉직해온 점이 자랑스럽다고 재차 언급하였다. 미스터 통은 부시 대통령의 최근 미국 국방대학 연설에서 한국군의 이라크 파병에 대해 심심한 경의와 존경을 표했던 일을 지적하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 이라크 안보상황이 개선됐다는 판단에 근거해 미국이 2009년 2월에 병력 8,000명을 재파병하기 시작할 것이며, 일부 다국적 연합국에는 지속적인 주둔 요청을 하지 않을 거라고 했다. 세드니 부차관보는 애초의 목표는 이라크 국민이 자국의 안보를 스스로 책임지도록 하는 게 애초의 목표였으며, 연합군이 그 이상 이라크에 주둔하도록 하는 게 아니였다고 강조하였다. 그는 미군 중부 사령부는 자이툰 부대 교대 준비를 위한 작전 책임 분야에 대한 이양 계획을 세우고 있다고 지적하였다. 전 실장은 이라크에서의 재파병이 가능하도록 안정적인 안보 환경을 구축하는 등 이라크에서 미국의 성공에 대해서도 축하였다.

6. (기밀) 아프간: 전 실장은 국방부는 아프간에 현지 조사팀 파견에 대한 타당성을 살펴볼 것이며, 현지조사팀이 빠르면 9월 말경에 카불로 이동할 준비가 가능할 거라고 말하였다. 그는 국방부가 미국의 최근 아프간 국군 지원 요청에 대해 검토할 예정이며, 국방부가 미국의 헬멧, 방탄복, 군화 제공 요청에 부응할 수 있을 듯하다고 말하였다.

7. (기밀) 해적소탕: 세드니 부차관보는 제18차 한미 안보정책구상 논의 상의 한 주제에 대한 후속 논의로 한국 해군 함정의 인도양 파견에 대한 미국의 요청을 고려했는지 전 실장에게 물었으며, 미 해군 제5함대, 해군 작전참모, 그리고 합동 참모는 한국 해군의 인도양 주둔은 해적 소탕과 항행(航行)의 자유 목표를 지원하는 것임을 변함없이 동의한다고 지적하였다. 전제국은 한국 해군의 파병은 미국정부의 양자 합의뿐만이 아닌 국회의 승인을 요한다고 말하였다.

MB 정부가 방치한 한국인 피랍자 추적 60분이 구해내… …(중략) 강 PD 피랍 사건에 대한 MB 정부의 대응과 관련해 “정부가 출입 기자들과 선원 가족들에게 말했던 엠바고의 근거가 상당부분 사실과 다르거나 잘못 판단했다는 게 드러났다”고 주장했다. 강 PD는 “10월초 선원 가족들이 <추적 60분> 방송을 비롯한 보도에 용기를 얻어 기자회견을 했고, 이후에 협상이 급진전됐다”며 “정부는 협상이 틀어질 수 있다고 우려했지만 실제로는 현지에서 파악했던 수준으로 협상이 이뤄진 것으로 알고 있다”고 전했다. (중략)… [인터뷰] ‘피랍 사건 장기화’ 처음 취재한 강윤기 ‘추적 60분’ PD PD 저널

8. (기밀) 평화유지군: 전제국은 한국 국회가 평화유지군 상설부대를 창설하기 위한 새 법안 중 몇 가지 버전을 검토하고 있다고 말하였다. 국방부는 현 평화유지군 법안은 부적절하며, 올해 국회의 심사를 앞두고 현 초안 법안의 개선을 위한 여러 방안을 작업하고 있다. 미스터 통은 한국의 법안은 평화유지군에 대한 법률 체계 개발을 고려 중인 역내 여타 국가에게 중요한 시범 효과가 될 거라고 지적하였다.

9. (기밀) 한미일 안보 협력: 전 실장은 한미일 삼자 회담 개최 요청에 대한 대응으로 리앙크루 암도 문제에 (한국어로 독도) 관한 현재 정치상황 때문에, 현시점에 회담을 개최하기가 어려울 거라고 말하였다. 그러나 국방부는 한미일 회담을 지지하며, 이 문제와 관련해 미국의 인내심을 요청하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 만일 한국이 한중일 삼국 협의틀이 존재한다면, 한국은 마찬가지로 미국과 일본과도 회담을 할 수 있어야 한다고 지적하였다. 전 실장은 한·중·일 정상회담과 외무장관회담을 인정하면서, 정치 상황이 나아지면 한미일 국방장관 회담이 개최될 것임을 암시하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 한미일 안보 협력이 현 상황에서 더욱 요구된다고 재차 말하였다. (주석: 9월 22일에, 전 실장은 이제 2008년 11월 3자 회담에 참여할 용의가 있다는 내용의 서신을 제임스 쉰 차관보에게 보내왔다.)

10. (기밀) 북한 미사일 위협: 전 실장은 미사일 방어 계획 분석팀에 대한 정책 지침을 제공하기 위한 고위급 실무 작업반을 수립하자는 미국의 요청을 검토하고 있다고 말했다. 그러나 전 실장은 동 계획 분석팀이 우선 회합하고 난뒤 동 분석팀의 활동을 감독하기 위한 정책 단계의 작업반이 필요하다면, 한국 국방부는 고위급 작업반을 위한 해당 요건을 재점검할 하겠다고 제안하였다. 국방부와 한국 합동 참모 일동은 단기 순환배치와 인사 발령으로 불가능할 수있는 업무의 연속성을 담보하기 위해서 동 미사일 방어 계획 분석팀은 과학자가 이끄는 연구 모임이 되어야 한다는 점에 국방부는 합의하였다. 전 실장은 한국 측 동 미사일 계획 분석팀은 국방정보본부, 국방부, 합동참모본부 등 연구 단체나 한국의 육·해·공군 소속 미사일 전문가 등 7명 인원으로 구성될 예정이라고 말했다. 전 실장은 동 미사일 계획 분석팀의 구성을 논의하고, 작업반에 위한 로드맵을 정하기 위한 연락처를 수립하는 일을 그 첫 단계로 삼자고 제안하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 미사일방어청이 첫 회의를 10월 말 워싱턴에서 개최하겠다고 제안했다고 지적하였다.

11. (기밀) 전 실장은 작전통제권 이양 준비 과정이 진행 중이며, 8월 을지프리덤가디언 합동 군사연습은 사상 처음으로 한국군 사령관이 전 과정을 지휘한 연습이었고, 그 결과도 매우 긍정적이라고 지적하였다. 을지프리덤가디언 연습은 한국과 미국 사령부가 모두 독립적으로 양립할 수 있음을 보여주었다. 을지연습은 한국에 값진 자신감을 갖게 해주었으며, 한편으론 2012년 4월 예정된 전작권 이양 날짜를 현실화하기 위해 개선의 여지가 있는 분야도 도드라졌다. 국방부 프리젠테이션은 전작권 이양 과정에서 합의된 19개 과제에 대한 진전을 지적했지만, 지휘통제시스템(C4I)8) 부분에서 더 많은 투자가 필요하며, 새로운 지휘체계에 대한 견해차도 남아 있음을 지적하였다. 전 실장은 해당 사안에 대한 긴밀한 협조가 있다면 해결될 거라고 말하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 미국과 한국이 모두 2012년 전작권 이양이 순조롭게 진행되고 있다는데 견해를 같이하였다. 그는 을지 연습 중에 전 실장이 몸소 참여하는 등 헌신적이고, 훌륭한 모습에 대해 전 실장에 감사하였다. 그는 작전계획안 개발에 관한 최근 양해각서 체결은 고무적이며, 지원 대상 전쟁계획과 지원 예정인 전쟁계획을 구분해 개발하기 위한 중요한 조치라고 역시 지적하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 2012년 연합지휘통제체계9) 야전 투입은 너무 늦다며, 특히 해당 체계가 2012년 전작권 이양에 앞서 충분히 실험하고 구현되도록 하려면 그렇다고 주의를 당부하였다. 전 실장은 지휘통제체계는(C4I) 작전통제권 이양에 장애가 되지 않을 거라고 세드니 부차관보를 안심시켰다. 팬터 소장(주한미군 전략기획참모) 김병기 여단장 일동은 동맹군사협조본부가 을지프리덤가디언 연습의 중요한 측면이라고 지적하였다. 팬터 소장은 주한미군은 동맹군사협조본부를10) 전시 상근 직원 24명을 유지할 뿐만 아니라 평시에도 그럴 의향이라고 한국을 안심시켰다. 전 실장은 가상안보협의회의를 미래 을지프리덤가디언 연습을 위해 계획, 결심 및 시행주기 안으로 통합하는 게 유용할 거라고 지적하였다.

미군에 종속될 것이 뻔한 AKJCCS를 구축하려는 한심한 국방부 …(중략) 비용 면에서 보더라도 AKJCCS를 전적으로 한국이 부담하는 것은 부당하다. 미국이 주도하도 한국이 지원하는 연합지휘관계에서 주한미군이 권한을 행사한 C4I체계인 TACCIMS, GCCS-K, CENTRIX-K 구축에 한국은 부지와 시설을 제공하고 운영유지비의 일부분을 부담해왔다. 마찬가지로 AKJCCS도 미국이 비용의 일부분을 부담해야 공평하다.(중략)… 미군에 종속될 것이 뻔한 AKJCCS를 구축하려는 한심한 국방부 통하는 세상

12. (기밀) 한국 국방부는 실무 단계에서의 많은 노력 끝에 정전관리책임 권한과 책임을 식별하는 첫 단계가 현재 완료되었지만, 해당 정전관리책임을 한국으로 이양하는 계획을 결정하는 두 번째 단계는 확실히 더 어려울 거라고 말하였다. 1단계는 한국휴전협정에 지정된 과업 혹은 책임 소재의 식별, 지정된 책임에 맞도록 제시된 과업과 책임 소재의 식별, 식별된 책임에 맞는 당국자의 지정, 그 책임을 현재 보유하고 있는 명령 당국자의 식별 등으로 구성되어 있다. 한국휴전협정 상에 식별된 61개 과업 중에서, 한국이 현재 3개의 과업, 유엔사령부가 44개 과업, 한국과 유엔사가 추가적인 14개 과업에 대해 공동 책임을 지기로 정전관리책임 고위급 작업반에서 합의하였다. 한국휴전협정에서 기인하는 함축된 책임은 없다고 동 작업반은 결정하였다. 한국 보고자는 정전관리책임 고위급 작업반은 10월 17일 한미 연례안보협의회의에 앞서 1단계 완성을 확정하기 위해 열릴 예정이라고 말하면서 프리젠테이션을 마감하였다.

13. (기밀) 험프리스 미 육군 용산 기지경비대: 전 실장은 험프리스 기지 개간 사업의 진척이 본궤도에 올랐다고 언급하면서 논의를 시작하였다. 각각의 개발 중인 토지 구역에(1구역, K구역 2구역) 대한 현재까지 진행개요를 제공하였다. 한국 측은 1구역의 기초공사가 55% 완료되었고, K구역은 33% 완료, 그리고 2구역에 작업 완수를 위한 입찰계약이 10월에 완료될 예정이며, 본격적인 공사는 2009년 3월에 착수될 예정이다. 그러나 전 실장은 종합사업관리 용역업체의 검증작업 최종결정은11) 더 지연되고 있다고 해당 보고를 이어 갔다. 종합사업관리 보고서는 제19차 한미 안보정책구상회의에 제출될 예정이였으나, 기본비용판단과 일정 문제 해결의 불능으로 말미암아 완성되지 못하고 있다.

14. (기밀) 세드니 부차관보는 용산기지이전사업과 종합토지관리계획 완성 일자에 대해 더 잘 이해할 필요가 있으며, 완성 일자가 수립되지 않고는 시간이 감에 따라 비용이 변하기 때문에, 기본비용을 산정하기 어려울 것이라고 강조하였다. 그는 미군 병력 재배치를 본격적으로 시작할 수 있으려면 공사 시작도 중요하지만, 마무리 짓는 것도 중요함을 지적하였다. 그러한 발언과 더불어, 세드니 부차관보는 방위비 분담금 기금의 전용을 포함한 주한미군 예산을 연합토지관리계획에 출연하려는 것이 주한미군의 의향이라고 지적하였다. 전 실장은 연합토지관리계획 목적의 방위비 분담금 전용 문제는 방위비 분담금 특별협정 협상을 통해서 해결돼야만 한다는 견해를 피력하였다. 그는 방위비 분담 협상에서 상호 수용할 만한 해결 방안을 찾을 수 있다고 확신하였다.

15. (기밀) 기지 반환: 주한미군 전략기획참모 프랭크 팬터 소장은 앞서 아침에 기지 반환 논의를 위해서 이백순 외교통상부 심의관과 함께 좋은 회동을 했다고 말하였다. 그는 7월 30일 회동에서 양측이 올해 말까지 9개 기지 반환을 완성하기 위한 5단계 과정을 합의하였다고 언급하였다. 그는 환경평가 과정에 대해 합의하게 되면, 그 즉시 한국의 하야리아 기지 조사 기간 연장 요구에 대해 결정할 수 있다는 구상을 보충하였다. 결론으로 팬터는 한미 주둔군 지위 협정 특별합동위원회는 11월 30일에 다시 회동해서 해당 사안에 대해 추가적인 진척을 도모하자고 제안하였다. 그는 모든 관련 당사자들이 참석해서, 합동 환경평가과정 방안을 산출하기 위한 회동에 나설 필요가 있다고 강조하였다. 한국과 미국 당국자들은 뜨거운 정치 쟁점인 동 사안에 대해 한국 언론의 접근을 막아야 할 필요성에 대해 견해를 같이하였다.

16. (기밀) 전 실장은 과거에도 그랬듯이, 기지 반환 문제는 한미 안보정책구상회의가 아니라 주둔군 지위 협정 채널 안에서 논의되어야 한다고 촉구하였다. 전 실장은 계획보다 빠르게 하야리아 기지에 대한 환경조사 연장 문제에 진전이 있을지 질의하였다. 팬터 소장은 합동환경평가에 대한 합의가 이루어지고 나면, 가능할 거라고 대답하였다.

17. (기밀) 세드니 부차관보는 전쟁예비물자―케이 이양 양해각서에 합의했으며, 8월 26일에 발효되었다고 보고하였다. 그는 10월 제40차 안보협의회의에서의 공식 서명식을 고대하고 있다고 말하였다. 그는 동 양해각서 합의로 한국이 많은 양의 군수품을 공정 시장 가격에 같은 군수품을 구매할 때와 비교해 저가로 군수품을 확보하게 해준다고 말하였다. 양측은 양해각서의 완성은 상생하는 길이였다고 견해를 같이하였다.

18. (기밀) 전 실장은 제40차 한미안보협의회의를 공고한 한미동맹의 상징으로 활용하는 게 중요하다는 말로 제19차 안보정책구상을 마무리 지었다. 그는 한미안보협의회의가 1968년 이래로 아웅 산 묘역 테러 사건으로 인한 1980년을 제외하곤, 어떻게 매년 한해에 한 차례 열렸는지를 설명하였다. 그는 양측이 올해 안보협의회의에서 큰 성공을 거두기 위해 특별히 노력하자고 장려하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 한미안보협의회의는 40년이 넘었어도 미국과 한국 국방장관이 매년 회동하는 중요한 포럼으로 남아 있다고 견해를 같이하였다. 그는 북한의 최근 동향을 보면 한미 군사와 민간 지도자 일동은 계속해서 매우 효과적인 소통을 할 필요가 있음이 분명해졌다고 지적하였다. 세드니 부차관보는 다음 제20차 한미 안보정책구상회의는 11월 11일이나 12일에 자신이 주재할 것이라고 했다. 19. (비분류) 세드니 부차관보는 이 전문을 승인하였다. 스티븐스 포와로 탐정의 번역 © 무단복제나 전재를 금지합니다. <blockquote -합동작전교범>* C4I (Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence) 체계 지휘관이 부여된 임무 달성을 위해 지휘, 통제, 통신, 정보 및 컴퓨터의 각 요소를 유기적으로 연결하여 전장 상황을 실시간에 분석, 전파하여 결심을 가능하게 하는 통합지휘통제체계. </blockquote>

08SEOUL2154.rtf
C O N F I D E N T I A L SEOUL 002154 
 
SIPDIS 
 
E.O. 12958: DECL: 11/03/2018 
TAGS: PREL [External Political Relations], PINS [National Security], MARR [Military and Defense Arrangements], KS [Korea (South)], KN [Korea (North)] 
SUBJECT: 19TH SECURITY POLICY INITIATIVE PLENARY 
 
Classified By: DCM WILLIAM A. STANTON.  REASONS 1.4 (b/d) 
 
------- 
SUMMARY 
------- 
 
¶1.  (C) The 19th Security Policy Initiative (SPI-19) talks 
were held in Seoul on September 10, 2008.  The U.S. 
Delegation was headed by Deputy Assistant Secretary of 
Defense for East Asia (DASD) David Sedney.  Ministry of 
National Defense Deputy Minister (DM) for Policy Jeon Jei-guk 
led the ROK Delegation.  The following were the major points 
of agreement: 
 
-- The U.S. and ROK delegations agreed on the importance of 
increasing assistance to Afghanistan and pledged to do so. 
-- Both sides expressed satisfaction with the steady progress 
being made on the transfer of wartime operational control 
(OPCON) and the success of Ulchi Freedom Guardian 08 military 
exercise. 
 
-- They reconfirmed that a five phase process would be 
utilized to complete the return of nine USFK facilities to 
the ROK by the end of this year. 
 
-- They agreed to establish a Missile Defense Program 
Analysis Team. 
 
-- The War Reserves Stockpile for Allies - Korea (WRSA-K) MOU 
was highlighted as a success, with a signing ceremony planned 
for the 40th Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) on October 
17 in Washington. 
 
¶2.  (C) Despite the overall positive tone and good progress 
reported in the plenary on internal Alliance matters, several 
U.S. requests for increased international security 
cooperation were turned aside by DM Jeon. 
 
-- He would not commit to participating in the U.S.-ROK-Japan 
Trilateral Talks (although he later did so). 
 
-- The ROK side also declined to provide direct military 
assistance to the Afghan National Army. 
 
-- DM Jeon stated that the ROK would not be able to provide a 
ROK naval vessel for anti-piracy operations off the east 
coast of Africa without National Assembly approval. 
 
¶3.  (SBU) SPI-20 is tentatively proposed to be held on 
December 11-12 in Washington, DC.  END SUMMARY 
 
¶4.  (U) The 19th Security Policy Initiative (SPI-19) U.S.-ROK 
Alliance talks were held in Seoul on September 10, 2008.  The 
U.S. Delegation was headed by DASD David Sedney.  MND DM for 
Policy Jeon Jei-guk led the ROK Delegation. 
 
--------------------------------- 
INTERNATIONAL SECURITY OPERATIONS 
--------------------------------- 
 
¶5.  (C) IRAQ:  Although this topic was discussed during the 
closed session, both DASD Sedney and Mr. Kurt Tong, Director 
for Korean Affairs at State, reiterated that the U.S. was 
proud to have served with the ROK for a common cause in Iraq. 
 Mr. Tong noted the recent speech by President Bush at the 
National Defense University where he expressed his deepest 
respect and admiration for the ROK military forces in Iraq. 
DASD Sedney stated that, based on improved security 
conditions in Iraq, the U.S. would begin to redeploy about 
8,000 troops by February 2009, and that some members of the 
multinational coalition would not be asked to stay.  DASD 
Sedney emphasized that the goal from the beginning was to 
have the people of Iraq provide their own security, and not 
to have coalition forces stay in Iraq any longer than that. 
He noted that CENTCOM was planning for the operational 
transition of responsibilities to prepare for the relief in 
place of the Zaytun Unit.  DM Jeon also congratulated the 
U.S. for its success in Iraq and for setting the stable 
security conditions in Iraq that would permit the 
redeployment of forces. 
 
¶6.  (C) AFGHANISTAN:  DM Jeon stated that MND would look into 
the feasibility of sending a survey team to Afghanistan and 
that it was possible the survey team could be ready to travel 
to Kabul as early as the end of September.  He said that MND 
would review the latest U.S. request for assistance to the 
Afghan National Army, and that it was likely that MND could 
meet the request to provide helmets, body armor, and boots. 
 
¶7.  (C) ANTI-PIRACY:  Following up with a topic of discussion 
from SPI-18, DASD Sedney asked DM Jeon if the ROK MND had 
considered the U.S. request for a ROK Navy ship in the Indian 
Ocean, and further noted that the U.S. Fifth Fleet, Chief of 
Naval Operations staff, and the Joint Staff continued to 
agree that such a ROKN presence would support anti-piracy and 
freedom of navigation objectives.  Jeon said that deploying a 
ROK Navy ship would require approval from the National 
Assembly as well as a bilateral agreement with the USG. 
 
¶8.  (C) PKO:  Jeon said the ROK National Assembly was 
reviewing several versions of new legislation to stand up a 
permanently-trained peace keeping operations (PKO) force. 
MND reported that the current version of the PKO legislation 
is not adequate, and that they were working on inputs to 
improve the current draft legislation prior to National 
Assembly consideration later this year.  Mr. Tong noted that 
the ROK legislation would be an important demonstration 
effect for others in the region that are also considering the 
development of a legal framework for PKO. 
 
¶9.  (C) TRILATERAL SECURITY COOPERATION:  DM Jeon responded 
to the request for a U.S.-ROK-Japan Trilateral Meeting 
stating that due to the current political situation in 
regards to the Liancourt Rocks issue (Tokdo in Korean), it 
would be difficult to hold talks at this time.  However, the 
MND supports trilateral talks and asked for U.S. patience on 
this matter.  DASD Sedney noted that if the ROK is having 
trilateral agreements with Japan and China, the ROK should 
also be able to meet with the U.S. and Japan.  Deputy 
Minister Jeon acknowledged the ROK-Japan-PRC Summit and 
Foreign Minister's Meeting, as well as hinting that a Defense 
Ministerial Trilat could take place when the situation 
improved.  DASD Sedney reiterated that the current situation 
demands greater trilateral security cooperation.  (Note: On 
September 22, he sent a letter to Assistant Secretary of 
Defense James Shinn stating that he would now be willing to 
join in trilateral talks in November 2008). 
 
----------- 
NORTH KOREA 
----------- 
 
¶10.  (C) DPRK MISSILE THREAT:  DM Jeon stated that the ROK 
was reviewing the U.S. request to establish a senior-level 
working group to provide policy guidance for the Missile 
Defense Program Analysis Team.  However, DM Jeon suggested 
that the Program Analysis Team meet first, and if there was a 
need for a policy-level group to have oversight of the team's 
activities, the ROK MND would reassess the requirement for 
the senior working group.  MND agreed that the Program 
Analysis Team should be a research group headed by scientists 
in order to ensure continuity of work that might not be 
possible with the short-term rotations and personnel 
assignments in both the MND and ROK JCS.  DM Jeon stated that 
the ROK-side of the Program Analysis Team would be a 7-member 
group composed from a research organization, KDIA, MND, JCS, 
and missile experts from each of the ROK services.  DM Jeon 
suggested that the first step is to establish points of 
contact who would discuss the team composition and select a 
roadmap for the working group.  DASD Sedney noted that the 
Missile Defense Agency (MDA) offered to host the first 
meeting in Washington in late October. 
 
----- 
OPCON 
----- 
 
¶11.  (C) DM Jeon reported that preparations for OPCON 
transition were on course and noted the Ulchi Freedom 
Guardian (UFG) combined military exercise in August marked 
the first time that ROK military commanders were in the lead 
throughout, and that the results had been very positive.  UFG 
showed both the U.S. and ROK commands are able to be stood up 
independently.  The exercise also allowed ROK to gain 
valuable confidence while highlighting areas of improvement 
that will need to be addressed in order to turn the scheduled 
OPCON transition in April 2012 into a reality.  The MND 
presentation noted progress on 19 agreed upon tasks in that 
process, but disagreements remain over the new command 
structure and more investment is needed in C4I.  DM Jeon 
stated that with close cooperation those issues would be 
resolved.  DASD Sedney agreed that both the U.S. and the ROK 
are on track for the transition of wartime OPCON in 2012.  He 
thanked DM Jeon for his personal involvement during the 
exercise, which was a great show of commitment.  He also 
noted that the recent signing of the MOU for OPLANs 
Development was encouraging and an important step for the 
development of separate supported and supporting war plans. 
DASD Sedney cautioned that ROK fielding of AKJCCS in 2012 is 
too late, especially if the system is to be fully tested and 
implemented prior to the transition of wartime OPCON in 2012. 
 DM Jeon assured DASD Sedney that C4I will not be an obstacle 
for OPCON transition.  Both MajGen Panter (USFK J-5) and BG 
Kim, Byung-ki noted that the Alliance Military Coordination 
Center (AMCC) was an important aspect of the UFG.  MajGen 
Panter reassured the ROK that USFK intends to maintain the 
AMCC in peacetime as well as in wartime with a permanent 
staff of 24.  DM Jeon noted that a mock Security Consultative 
Meeting (SCM) would be useful to integrate into the Planning, 
Decision, Execution (PDE) cycle for future UFG exercises. 
 
-------------------------------------------- 
ARMISTICE MAINTENANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (AMR) 
-------------------------------------------- 
 
¶12. (C) The ROK MND stated that after much effort at the 
working level, the first phase of identifying AMR authorities 
and responsibilities was now complete but that the second 
phase of determining a transition plan for those AMRs to the 
ROK was sure to be more difficult.  Phase 1 consisted of 
identification of responsibilities or tasks specified in the 
Korean War Armistice Agreement (KWAA), identification of 
responsibilities or tasks implied required to meet specified 
responsibilities, specifying authorities required to meet 
identified responsibilities, and identifying the command 
authorities that currently hold those responsibilities.  Of 
the 61 tasks identified in the KWAA, the AMR Senior Working 
Group agreed that the ROK currently has responsibility for 3 
tasks, the UNC for 44 tasks, and that the ROK and the UNC 
share responsibility for an additional 14 tasks.  The working 
group determined that there were no implied responsibilities 
from the KWAA.  The ROK briefer concluded his presentation by 
stating that an AMR Senior Working Group meeting would be 
held to finalize the completion of Phase 1 prior to the 
October 17 SCM. 
 
---------------- 
USFK REALIGNMENT 
---------------- 
 
¶13.  (C) U.S. ARMY GARRISON (USAG)-HUMPHREYS:  DM Jeon opened 
the discussion by stating that progress on land development 
at Camp Humphries was on track.  An outline of progress to 
date was then given on each of the respective land parcels 
being developed (Parcel 1, Parcel K and Parcel 2).  The ROK 
side reported that groundwork at Parcel 1 was 55 percent 
complete, Parcel K was 33 percent complete, and that bidding 
for the work to be done on Parcel 2 would be completed in 
October, with significant construction set to begin in March 
2009.  However, DM Jeon followed up on the report by 
remarking that finalization of the work of the Project 
Management Consortium (PMC) had been further delayed.  The 
PMC report was to have been submitted at SPI-19, but due to 
an inability to resolve issues of baseline cost and 
scheduling, it remained incomplete. 
 
¶14.  (C) DASD Sedney stressed that a better of understanding 
of completion dates for YRP and LPP were needed, and that 
without establishing one, it would be difficult to determine 
a baseline cost as costs will change over time.  He noted the 
importance of not just starting construction but finishing 
it, so that realignment of the troops could begin in earnest. 
 Alongside these comments, DASD Sedney pointed out that it 
was USFK's intention to fund LPP with the USFK budget, which 
would include the use of SMA funds.  DM Jeon opined that the 
SMA for LPP issue should be resolved through the SMA 
negotiations, where he was sure a mutually acceptable 
resolution would be found. 
 
¶15.  (C) CAMP RETURNS:  USFK J5 Major General Frank Panter 
stated that he had had a good meeting with MOFAT's Deputy 
Director General Lee Baek-soon earlier in the morning to 
discuss Camp Returns.  He remarked that at the July 30 
meeting both sides had agreed to a five-phased process for 
the completion of the 9 camp returns scheduled to take place 
by the end of this year.  He reinforced the idea that once an 
agreement had been reached on the assessment process, a 
decision could then be made on the ROK-requested extension of 
the Camp Hialeah survey period.  In conclusion, Panter 
suggested that the SOFA Special Joint Committee meet again on 
September 30 to make further progress on the issue.  He 
emphasized the need for all the relevant parties to be 
present and to come to the meeting prepared to work out a 
joint environmental assessment process.  ROK and U.S. 
officials agreed on the need to keep the highly-politically 
charged issue out of the Korean media. 
 
¶16.  (C) As he has done in the past, DM Jeon urged that the 
Camp Return issue be discussed within the SOFA channel, 
rather than at the SPI.  DM Jeon queried as to whether it 
would be possible to move forward on the survey extension for 
Camp Hialeah sooner than planned.  MajGen Panter replied that 
once an agreement on the joint environmental assessment had 
been reached, it may be possible to do so. 
 
--------------------------------------------- ---- 
WAR RESERVE STOCKPILE FOR ALLIES - KOREA (WRSA-K) 
--------------------------------------------- ---- 
 
¶17.  (C) DASD Sedney reported that the WRSA-K transfer MOA 
had been agreed upon and initialed on August 26.  He said he 
looked forward to the formal signing ceremony at the 40th SCM 
in October.  He also observed that the agreement allowed the 
ROK to gain a large amount of munitions at a low price 
compared to purchasing the same munitions at fair market 
value.  Both sides agreed that the completion of the MOA had 
been a win-win situation. 
 
----------------------- 
SPI-20 AND THE 40TH SCM 
----------------------- 
 
¶18.  (C) DM Jeon concluded SPI-19 by stating the importance 
of using the 40th SCM to symbolize the strength of the 
U.S.-ROK Alliance.  He recounted how the SCM had been held 
once a year, every year, since 1968, with 1980 being the only 
exception, due to the bombing of the ROK cabinet in Burma. 
He encouraged that both sides make a special effort to make 
this year's SCM a great success.  DASD Sedney agreed, adding 
that even after forty years the SCM remained an important 
forum for the U.S. and ROK defense ministers to meet 
annually.  He pointed out that recent events in North Korea 
had made it clear that both our militaries and their civilian 
leaders need to continue to communicate very effectively. 
DASD Sedney stated that he would be hosting the next SPI 
(SPI-20) on December 11 or 12. 
 
¶19.  (U) DASD Sedney has cleared this message. 
STEPHENS

1)
번역 주: SIPDIS, Siprnet Distribution
2)
[External Political Relations]
3)
[National Security]
4)
[Military and Defense Arrangements]
5)
[Korea (South)]
6)
[Korea (North)]
7)
DCM WILLIAM A. STANTON.
8)
번역 주: 용산기지이전협정에 보면 '지휘·통제·통신·컴퓨터·정보체계'란 용어를 사용한다.
9)
AKJCCS·Allied Korea Joint Command Control System, C4I체계 중 하나이다. C4I 대미 종속성 문제에 관한 자세한 관련 내용은 하단의 바깥 고리를 보라.
10)
번역 주: 외교안보연구원은 ‘군사협조본부’란 용어를 사용하기에 그 용어를 그대로 인용한다. AMCC, the Alliance Military Coordination Center